Welcome to our website !

Food Shopping On A Student Budget | Uni Guide Series

By 10:00 , ,


I thought it was about time I did another post for my Uni Guide Series since I haven't done one in a while. This post will all be about food shopping on a student budget. Now, if you're anything like me you'll try and avoid any talk about finances or budgeting, I tend to bury my head in the sand. However, I have a few tips that I think will make food shopping a little easier for you.

1. Shop Around
I know it's easy to go to the closest supermarket but I find the ones closest to student residence and student houses are always more expensive. For me, that's been Co-Op so I try to avoid doing my full food shop in there if I can. Personally, I prefer Tesco as they have good deals and I get Clubcard points, bonus! 

2. Planning
Once you've found where it's cheapest for you to shop, plan what you want to buy first. If you try planning your meals then you'll be less likely to pick up 5 pizzas for a week (although, this is acceptable sometimes just go with it!). I look through my cupboards first to see what I'm running out of and will definitely need.

3. Food Delivery
I find doing my shop online is a lot easier for me. It saves me walking 20 minutes with 10 bags and struggling all the way, and also if a few of you do your food shop together the delivery charge can be split and will cost virtually nothing. I also find if I do my shop online that I find better bargains as they'll pop up telling me what's on offer. Many places also offer you free delivery for your first order if you spend over a certain amount which is even better.

4. Own Brands
Before coming to uni I wasn't particularly bothered about buying own brand or branded, but since being a student I've found I rarely buy branded items. I find most of the own brand alternatives are the same quality if not better than branded, obviously some items I still buy branded, for example nothing will beat Doritos for me!

5. Poundland
This may seem like an odd point to add in, however pop into Poundland and see what you can buy! I often find that they have a wide range of branded crisps, chocolate, coffee, salt, ketchup etc in there which will be cheaper than the supermarkets.

I hope you found these tips helpful. Do you have any tips for food shopping on a budget?







You Might Also Like

0 comments